Still I rise
You might also be interested in:
- Watch the video of Maya Angelou reciting Still I rise, or read the poem aloud
- Walk through the Still I rise handout
- Work in pairs or small groups to answer the questions and do the writing activity.
Reflect and discuss
- How did you feel when reading or listening to this poem? Which part stood out most for you? Why?
- How important is it to ‘rise up’ against injustice? What things inspire you to take a stand?
- How would you describe the personality or characteristics of the person featured in the poem? Are these positive or negative qualities? Explain.
- Still I rise is about resilience, the ability to both survive hardship and thrive in its wake.
- Is resilience important? Why or why not?
- Who is the most resilient person you know? What made you choose that person?
- What are some ways to develop resilience?
Write it out!
Write a poem or story that features examples of resilience from your own life.