- Play the High Hopes video once, encouraging those who feel comfortable to close their eyes.
- Play the song again, and review the contents of the High Hopes handout
- In pairs, small groups, or as a larger group, discuss using one or more of the sets of questions in the handout.
Reflect and discuss
Didn’t know how but I always had a feeling/I was gonna be that one in a million/Always had high, high hopes
- What does it mean to have high hopes?
- Is having high hopes important? Why or why not?
- What do you hope for? Why?
Mama said, “Fulfill the prophecy, be something greater, go make a legacy…”
Mama said, “Burn your biographies, rewrite your history, light up your wildest dreams”
Mama said. “Don’t give up…”
The singer’s mother is a key influence in his life.
- Who influences you? In what ways?
- What are some of the key messages that play in your head when you’re making decisions?
- Write, draw, film or use another art form to represent hope and what it looks, feels or sounds like for you.
- Identify and present a song of your choice that involves the themes of hope or influence.